This scrumptious egg salad is piled high into a grilled portobello mushroom and then garnished with sweet and juicy roma tomatoes. While there are most likely thousands of egg salad recipes out there, when you find one you truly love, it becomes your go-to recipe and all the other ones fade away. Well, this one is deserving of your attention.
Healthy, Nutritious and Satisfying
I can eat this little gem for breakfast, lunch or a snack and get my protein and nutrients into my daily diet with minimal effort and with a delicious dish to boot!
While this recipe uses an electric egg cooker, you can also make this egg salad using leftover hard-boiled eggs or simply boiling them on your stove top.
Egg Salad In Portobello Mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps about 5 inch diameter
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 2 green onions white and light green sections thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes sliced
- Pierce the bottom of each egg. Fill water in the measuring container to the “Hard” line and pour into the cooker. Place the eggs in the boiling tray bottom-side up. Cover and press the Power button. When the cooker beeps, transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel eggs under cold running water; dry with a paper towel. Coarsely chop eggs.
- Meanwhile, add portobello mushrooms, top side up, to a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly softened and golden brown. Arrange mushrooms bottom side up on serving plates. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery and green onions, mashing together with a potato masher or firm whisk, until your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, mixing well. Fill the mushrooms with the egg salad mixture. Garnish with sliced tomatoes. Serve immediately.
* Add 1 tbsp Dijon mustard to the mixture.
* Add 2 radishes, grated to the mixture. You can grate the radishes using a box grater and grate over the larger holes.