Here is a wonderful bowlful of goodness that combines nutritious healthy vegetables and power-packed chickpeas. To add even a bigger boost of nutrients and flavor to this dish, I drizzled it with a light and easy spinach pesto.
Healthy Mediterranean Chickpea, Zucchini and Tomato Salad
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups lightly packed spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, arrange zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Roast 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, add walnuts to a food processor or blend and pulse until walnuts are a fine meal. Do not over process.
- Add the spinach, basil, garlic, juice and zest from lemon, 2-1/2 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, pulsing until the mixture is combined, scraping down the sides of the container as needed. Slowly blend in the remaining olive oil.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with pesto sauce, gently tossing to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.