If you’re looking for an easy and delicious grilled dish for father’s day, family or guests this dish delivers. There is nothing quite like the wow factor of opening up a pot of boiled clams, but this easy-to-prepare clam bake delivers the same amazing aroma and flavor as each diner opens their individual packet.
Portuguese Clam Bake Grilled in Foil
- 48 small clams about 2 lbs, scrubbed
- 2 lbs linguiça sausage
- 2 lbs new potatoes quartered
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 ears sweet corn shucked and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
- 1 bottle 12 oz beer
- Virgin olive oil
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, melted
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
You will need:
- Four 12-inch square sheets cheesecloth
- Four 24-inch square sheets heavy-duty foilDirections
- Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high heat
- Place a sheet of cheesecloth on top of each foil sheet. Add clams, dividing evenly. Top with sausages, potatoes, garlic and corn, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Fold edges of foil up into a bowl shape around the clam mixture and pour 1/2 bottle of beer into each packet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Fold foil into tent-style packets and seal edges tightly.
- Place packets on preheated grill and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and clams have opened. Open packets and discard any clams that have not opened. Drizzle clam mixture with melted butter and garnish with parsley.Tips:
- Purchase clams from a known and trusted supplier. If buying them in a bag, check for a certification number on the label. Discard any clams that have cracked or broken shells. Before cooking, tap each shell gently — the clam should close when tapped; discard any that do not.
- You can substitute dry-cured chorizo or andouille sausage for the linguiça.